Subject: Re: dropping into ddb w/ usb keybd
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/21/2007 17:27:31
On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 04:25:09PM -0400, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Patrick Welche wrote:
> >Any idea why I can't drop into ddb with ctl-alt-esc from a usb keyboard?
> [snip]
> >If I boot -d I get in and can type.
>
> If 'boot -d' works, it's because your firmware setup USB legacy emulation.
> Once the USB keyboard driver attaches to the console, it is running in
> native mode -- and since interrupts are disabled when DDB is entered, the
> USB interface to the keyboard won't work as a result.
>
> Sorry for the bad news.

I don't understand your answer, as I don't reach the "when DDB is entered"
bit. So,

USB keyboard driver attaches to console / runs in native mode / interrupts
disabled.
/etc/rc.d/xdm stop
make sure /etc/ttys has console on, ttyE0 off, kill -1 1 if necessary
On usb keyboard, console terminal, press ctl-alt-esc. Nothing happens.
Can happily login to console. Type away merrily. No ddb.

This is a Dell optiplex 280, bios A08, no legacy usb emulation option,
just on / off / no boot (from usb mass storage devices).

What have I missed?

Cheers,

Patrick