Subject: Do 16650 or 16950 UARTs work for anyone?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/11/2007 18:58:31
Our "com" driver has support for some of the features on the 16650 UART
and its descendants: in particular, it enables the deeper FIFOs on these
chips (though it assumes they're always 64 bytes deep) and turns on
automatic RTS/CTS flow control.  We do not support the clock prescaler
that makes higher speeds than the standard 115200 available.

This support is not built into the driver by default (I have never been
sure why).  I last used it about five years ago.  It should not be
necessary -- these chips start up in 16550 compatible mode by default.

I'm trying to use a Startech card with an Oxford OX16PCI952 (dual-port
16950) with our com driver.  The 16952 is 16650-compatible including,
according to the datasheet, starting up in 16550 mode.  I am seeing
characters echoed back to me in 'cu' but not, as far as I can tell,
transmitted by the device.  I haven't yet rebuilt the driver with the
COM_16650 option.

I have a real 16650 on order to see if the COM_16650 option still works
at all.

Is anyone successfully using a 16950 or 16650 with our com driver right
now?  I'm quite concerned that the 950 doesn't work in basic 550 mode.

I'd use a USB serial adapter on this system instead but either software
or hardware (I suspect hardware) are bad such that after a few hours
the entire uhci shuts down if I run a lot of data through a uplcom at
high speed.  Sigh.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."	      - Noam Chomsky