Subject: Recording with wss(4) hardware seems to be broken in NetBSD-3.X, anyone else agree?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/09/2007 10:32:47
	Hello.  I have an old Dell Inspiron 3500 which has been running NetBSD
for years.  For many years I used it as my digital audio recording machine,
for making Cds from vinyl records, recording meetings and the like.  About
a year ago, I upgraded it to NetBSD-3, but didn't have occasion to use its
recording capabilities.  Recently, I began work on a project which will
require its trusty service again.  When I pulled it out to test it, I found
that recording didn't work with its 3.x kernel.  All recording processes
would get stuck in "aud_rd" and no bytes would be written to disk.
Playing, however, seems to work fine.  Thinking that perhaps because the
machine had been sitting idle for a long time, perhaps it has just died, I
downgraded it to NetBSD-2.0, where recording works as expected.

	Here's what the attachment looks like under both NetBSD-2.x and 3.x

wss1 at pnpbios0 index 17 (CSC0000, WSS/SB)
wss1: io 530-537 388-38b 220-22f, irq 5, DMA 1 0
wss1: CS4237B
audio0 at wss1: full duplex, mmap
opl0 at wss1: model OPL3
midi0 at opl0: WSS Yamaha OPL3

Has anyone else experienced this same problem when going from NetBSD-2.x to
3.x?  Recording with other audio(4) drivers seems to work OK.  Does anyone
have any ideas where I might look to solve this issue?  I can live with
NetBSD-2.x on this box, but it would be nice to know that the problem is
fixed going forward after 2.x.  I have not tried a 4.x kernel, perhaps I
should.

-thanks
-Brian