Subject: Re: support for unconfigured PCI devices, esp. SD card reader
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@porcupine.montreal.qc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/29/2007 18:36:05
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Pavel Cahyna replied to me:

>> The ones still giving me a bit of a hard time are:
>>
>>   (1) unconfigured at pci1 ... Conexant product 0x2f20 (card reader?)
>>   (2) vga1 at pci0 ... Intel product 0x2772  [graphics card]
>>   (3) pcib0 at pci0 ... Intel product 0x27b1 (has sub-devices, anyway)
>>   (4) unconfigured at pci0 ... Intel SMBus Controller 8201GB
>>   (5) fw at fwohci0 not configured
>>
>> "2" and "3" seem to work despite the lack of a "name", and I don't
>> even know what an SMBus Controller does, so that one is probably not
>> urgent either.  "5" probably needs an entry in the kernel config file
>> (maybe "fw* at fwohci?") but I don't see a handy example in the sample
>> kernel configs.
>>
>> Most importantly, though, I badly want to be able to use my multiple
>> card reader (MMC/SD, Compact Flash, and so on), which I suspect might
>> be the Conexant product 0x2f20 ("miscellaneous communications).  Has
>> that support been added, and if so, would it be possible for me to
>> include it in my 3.1 kernel, and if so, which files should I update?

> Don't know about the card reader, sorry. But Conexant product 0x2f20 isn't
> it, is a modem.

And indeed, there *is* a modem in there!  I missed that; thanks.

Therefore I'm not too flustered about the lack of support for that,
but I am somewhat desperate for the card reader.  Perhaps *that*'s the
SMBus?

The frustrating thing is that a very similar (at least from the outside)
card reader worked fine under NetSDB-3.0 on my previous computer (HP
Pavilion a1130n, amd64-based), and the boot messages on that one would
give me a lot of info, if I had them.  That computer was stolen, hence
the new one.  :-(

I do still have my set-up documentation, so I know that the card devices
looked like SCSI devices and were mounted as sd{0,1,2,3}e, but that's all
I have - on the previous computer, the devices showed up right away in
the boot messages so I was able to go from there.

Anne Bennett.