Subject: serial cable / Intel SR1500AL
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/03/2007 15:19:40
An Intel SR1500AL box with 4GB ram has just arrived. Booting GENERIC
gets me a panic in pci_map_reg. If I disable acpi, I get the attached
dmesg, which is odd as less ram is detected. Sadly it seems that the
raid controler isn't supported:

Intel product 0x2682 (RAID mass storage, revision 0x09) at pci0 dev 31 function
2 not configured

I thought I would try to make some in-roads, but am stuck at the first
hurdle: trying to make use of the serial port. I made a cable with pins:

RJ45            9-pin male
1 DSR, 2 DCD -> 4 DTR
3 DTR        -> 1 DCD, 6 DSR
4 GND        -> 5 GND
5 RxD        -> 3 TxD
6 TxD        -> 2 RxD
7 CTS        -> 7 RTS
8 RTS        -> 8 CTS

Does that make sense?

I netbooted with kernels with KGDB_DEVADDR=0x2f8 and 0x3f8 as there is only
one serial port (RJ45 socket), yet the kernel detected com0 and com1.
No joy with gdb on the remote.

I also tried consdev com0 and consdev com1 while running tip on the remote
and didn't see anything. (9600N1 everywhere)

Does this mean my cable is wrong? Have any of you tried NetBSD on a SR1500AL?

Cheers,

Patrick