Subject: port-i386-specific ioapic interrupt issues in 4.0_BETA2?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@rezrov.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/03/2007 10:17:42
Hello,

I've been seeing rather frustrating interrupt lossage under 4.0_BETA2 on one
of my machines, and I think that I've narrowed it down to an issue with
handling interrupts routed via ioapic.

This machine was originally an AMD64 MSI-K8MM3 with an off-board twa and re,
running GENERIC.MP and amd64 port.  Although this configuration was quite
stable, I needed to run the FreeBSD 3ware management tools and thus migrated
to the i386 port with the GENERIC.MP kernel.

Soon thereafter, the machine would hang during heavy disk i/o.  I replaced
the motherboard with a VIA VT-310DP (dual CPU, three onboard NICs -- vge, vr,
fxp).  Not only did the disk hangs continue, but I started noticing
intermittent network watchdog timeouts on all three interfaces.

Dropping to ddb worked.  bt showed nothing past the serial console interrupt
handler.  Reboot/sync spun forever.

Removing ioapic support from the kernel returned the machine to stability.

Should I file a PR?
--

-- Chris
	GPG key FEB9DE7F (91AF 4534 4529 4BCC 31A5  938E 023E EEFB FEB9 DE7F)