Subject: Re: NetBSD Vs. DVD-RAM
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Ball <aball@students.prairiestate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/2007 16:37:58
Hello David,

   DL> Neither (well not usually) the filesystem will reserve the
     > first 8k for the bootcode, and the disklabel sits inside that
     > area.

If the filesystem sets aside the first 8K, does that mean that I can
start a partition at sector 0 and the disklabel lives inside the file-
system?  Or would it be more sensible to start the partition at sector
16 (assuming 512-byte sectors)?

I'm thinking of doing this with data disks, so bootability is a non-
issue.  Would a disk that's just labelled (with no fdisk/BIOS
partition) be portable between NetBSD machines of different
architectures?  If I write them on a PC, are they only readable on
other little-endian machines?

- Andy Ball