Subject: Re: NetBSD Vs. DVD-RAM
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Ball <aball@students.prairiestate.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/02/2007 11:01:19
Hello David,

   DL> That just ain't gonna work ...

That's disappointing, since it seems so close to working.  Your
explanation makes sense though, thanks.

   DL> Similarly code that looks for the netbsd disklabel (on i386 et
     > al) must look at bytes 512-1023 of the partition, not in the
     > 2nd sector (bytes 2024-4097) otherwise it won't be using the
     > reserved space within the bootcode.

You've just answered a question that has been rattling around my head
for some time, and in the process prompted another: If I am labelling
(512-byte sectored) disk for use with NetBSD machines, do I need to
reserve the whole first track, or just the first 1,024 bytes to leave
room for the disklabel?  (I'm not using fdisk/BIOS partitions).

- Andy Ball.