Subject: Serial Console Installs
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/22/2007 11:30:50
Is there a way to select to the iso bootloader on an install build to select
the console for the install?

I have a system (Dell 2650) with the console redirection config:

  Console Redirection .............. Serial Port 1
  Remote Terminal Type ............. VT100/VT220
  Redirection After Boot ........... Disabled

From the serial console I never get to see the bootloader prompt.  If I
change the Redirection After Boot Property to Enabled, I can see the
bootloader but I lose console once the kernel starts initializing.

If I use the DRAC/KVM on the console and catch the bootloader to issue:
  consdev com0
I can continue with the serial console installation flawlessly.  It would be
nice to eliminate the requirement of the KVM though.

What is the method to build an install image using an alternative kernel
named SINSTALL which is simply:
-------------
include "arch/i386/conf/INSTALL"
options        CONSDEVNAME="\"com\"",CONADDR=0x3f8,CONSPEED=9600
-------------
This would get me two iso images that I could have available.

Alternatively, is there an option to use for the bootloader to write and
then read from all the devices it knows during the countdown?  If this were
a flag or option that is used during install boots, it would be easily
sufficient to handle all cases from one iso install image (with a little
documentation).

Perhaps all this changes after 3.x as I'm still using 3.1 code.  I've seen
that there are changes with the 4.x release, does the bootloader use all
interfaces there?

Thanks,

peter