Subject: Re: Sprint/Novatel Merlin S720 Card
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: David Dudley <DavidDu@cctexas.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/27/2007 14:19:25

--=__PartFDDA84AD.0__=

OK, now this is getting personal.

I've tried the P111 cardbus card along with the S720 card in a number
of machines, now (5 to be exact).
The two machines I can plug the S720 CDMA card directly into, provide
information as below related to the device.

On all 5 machines, when I plug the card into the cardbus adapter (elan
P111), I get the following information:

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.06
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 ohci_hcd
S:  Product=OHCI Host Controller
S:  SerialNumber=0000:00:0f.2
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=  0mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl=255ms

Looks like the cardbus adapter recognizes the USB hub controller on the
S720, but it doesn't recognize that there's something connected to that
hub, or the elan card won't allow access.

Ideas as to what to try next????

David Dudley

>>> "David Dudley" <DavidDu@cctexas.com> 4/27/2007 1:46 PM >>>
And the mud gets even clearer still.

I had booted knoppix on my laptop, which has a built in cardbus port,
because I had immediate access to that, and the net4801 devices don't
have any kind of disk (they're netbooted for right now).
Not surprisingly, that worked as below, and information was provided.

When I got time at the office, I installed the elan p111 cardbus
adapter card that is being used by the net4801 device to provide a
cardbus port on my Linux server.
Upon booting knoppix in that configuration, with the elan adapter
card,
mysteriously, Linux will recognize the cardbus card being plugged in
and
out of the system, but won't recognize the CDMA device.
I'm going to put the adapter in another machine later today, one that
has NetBSD on it, and see what can be discovered.

Perhaps it's the elan card that is not interfacing properly or
something.

David

>>> "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> 4/27/2007 11:56 AM >>>
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:15:48 -0500
"David Dudley" <DavidDu@cctexas.com> wrote:

> T:  Bus=06 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=1410 ProdID=1130 Rev= 0.00

This is strange -- the vendor and product IDs you list here don't
match
anything that NetBSD saw, per your previous posts.  And they're much
more reasonable -- the vendor ID, at least, matches what's in the
NetBSD
kernel source for Novatel.

I think we have a deeper problem here -- something in the NetBSD USB
stack isn't looking carefully enough.  Note Greg Troxel's comments
about
ugen -- why isn't it picking up the device? -- and about how perhaps
something needs to be powered on first.

I'm at a loss for what else to suggest you try.  It might be worth
looking at the Linux kernel to see what it does with the
vendor/product
IDs that NetBSD did notice.

--=__PartFDDA84AD.0__=

BEGIN:VCARD