Subject: Re: Sysinst won't install onto ld0 on NetBSD 4.0 Beta 2
To: Todd Kover <kovert@omniscient.com>
From: David Rankin <david@bluegrapepress.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/18/2007 09:21:45
On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 07:53:22PM -0400, Todd Kover wrote:
> I'm running into the same problem with installign on ld0 with NetBSD 4.0
> BETA 2:

> NetBSD 4.0_BETA2 (INSTALL_LARGE) #0: Mon Apr 16 01:45:18 EDT 2007
>         kovert@saidin.omniscient.com:/usr/obj/4.0-stable/i386/omniscient/os/NetBSD-4.0-branch/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/INSTALL_LARGE
>
> that is, it looks like the DIOCGDEFLABEL ioctl isn't working. (fdisk -i
> ld0 is throwing an error).  I'm able to drop a disklabel and newfs a
> filesystem just fine.

> I'm using ld via aac on an Adaptec 2610SA (I had to pull support into
> this from -current) with source from within 24 hours of the date of the
> build.

I think this is the same chipset as is on the Dell motherboards, fyi.

> This is a new-to-me-card with new disks and I'm actually trying to build
> out the personality for a system that I'm flying to later this week...

> I don't suppose anyone's found a root cause for this?

No. I just installed 3.1 and manually upgraded to 4.0. Since I'm running
Xen, I wasn't too worried about Dom0 being a little rough on the edges. You
could build a custom sysinst that hardwires ld0 as the install disk.

I looked at the kernel source, and I couldn't tell what's going on.
Given my level (or lack thereof) of kernel hacking skills, that's no
surprise.

I did open PR 35857. You should update it with your information too.

That said, I managed to obtain a second Dell PowerEdge 2450 as a test
box. If anyone can suggest a fix for this, I'll be glad to test it as
soon as I get my test box on the network.

Thanks,
David