Subject: Re: Sysinst won't install onto ld0 on NetBSD 4.0 Beta 2
To: David W. Rankin Jr. <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
From: Todd Kover <kovert@omniscient.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/17/2007 19:53:22
 > I'm installing NetBSD 4.0 Beta 2 onto a new-to-me Dell PowerEdge
 > 2450.  It's got the RAID card (PERC 3/Si, aac0) installed, and I have
 > confirmed that the install media can read and write to ld0 from the
 > install media (fdisk, disklabel, and newfs all work). However, the
 > installer won't see ld0 as a valid install disk. sysinst says "no
 > valid disks".

I'm running into the same problem with installign on ld0 with NetBSD 4.0
BETA 2:

NetBSD 4.0_BETA2 (INSTALL_LARGE) #0: Mon Apr 16 01:45:18 EDT 2007
        kovert@saidin.omniscient.com:/usr/obj/4.0-stable/i386/omniscient/os/NetBSD-4.0-branch/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/INSTALL_LARGE

that is, it looks like the DIOCGDEFLABEL ioctl isn't working. (fdisk -i
ld0 is throwing an error).  I'm able to drop a disklabel and newfs a
filesystem just fine.

I'm using ld via aac on an Adaptec 2610SA (I had to pull support into
this from -current) with source from within 24 hours of the date of the
build.

This is a new-to-me-card with new disks and I'm actually trying to build
out the personality for a system that I'm flying to later this week...

I don't suppose anyone's found a root cause for this?

-Todd