Subject: Darwin emulation?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Henry R. Bent <Henry.Bent@oberlin.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 04/12/2007 18:20:26
Hi all,

Does Darwin emulation work on i386?  I have COMPAT_MACH, COMPAT_DARWIN,
and EXEC_MACHO turned on but it looks like binaries aren't even trying
to run.  I have emulators/darwin_lib installed and have verified that it
is universal.  Yet when I try to run /bin/ls from an OS X 10.4.9 intel
machine:

aelfric% ./ls
./ls: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.

ktrace is no help, because it never even tries running the binary as
anything but netbsd and a shell script:

aelfric% ktrace ./ls
./ls: 9: Syntax error: ";" unexpected
aelfric% kdump
  28017      1 ktrace   EMUL  "netbsd"
  28017      1 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbfedeb,0xbfbfed14,0xbfbfed1c)
  28017      1 ktrace   NAMI  "./ls"
  28017      1 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 8 Exec format error
  28017      1 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbbbc77f0,0xbfbfe800,0xbfbfed1c)
  28017      1 ktrace   NAMI  "/bin/sh"

Am I missing some extra setup, or is this not going to work?

-Henry Bent