Subject: Re: T60 status report with current
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Pierre Pronchery <khorben@defora.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/24/2007 02:22:39
Greg Troxel wrote:
> Two people asked me offlist how the T60 works, so I'm replying here
> because I suspect others are interested.

I have one too. I am running 4.0_BETA2 from Mar 18.

> I am on balance happy with my T60, which has the non-flexview
> 1400x1050 screen and Core Duo T2300 (newer ones have Core 2 Duo) and 2
> GB ram.

The screen is good, and it is really fast.

> Things that work:
>
>   X at 1400x1050 using VESA driver with in-tree xfree86

Here too.

>   builtin ath(4) (can be ordered this way, you get intel if you don't
>   try)

I got an Intel card here, and it does not work correctly. The firmware
always ends up crashing (with the software bit set). It crashes randomly
in IBSS mode, and after each few packets in monitor mode. It does not
work in ad-hoc mode.
Tonight the laptop even ended up crashing hardly and beeping without
stopping, with my own patches removed.
The LED keeps blinking when the interface is put down using the radio
button.
I cannot try the OpenBSD driver on this machine until it is enabled by
default in some removable media image. I have currently no more time or
extra hardware to play with this.

>   builtin wm(4)

Works like a charm since I patched my wm driver as seen recently on the ML.

>   USB (card readers, USRP, serial adaptors, so both uhci and ehci are ok)

USB is quite ok. I am having issues with usbnet (to a zaurus) and with
umass (dumping filesystem images to a CF card stops somewhere in the
middle and crashes the kernel).

>   cardbus slot (EVDO, additinal ath(4))

cbb0 at pci6 dev 0 function 0: Texas Instruments PCI1510 PCI-CardBus
Bridge (rev. 0x00)
cbb0: can't map socket base address 0xe4300000
pci_io_find: expected type i/o, found mem
cbb0: can't map socket base address 0xc1c3d590: io mode
cbb0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 16 (irq 11)

Last time I tried, plugging in a CF adapter did not see the CF card, and
plugging in a wi wireless card crashes the kernel.

>   builtin kbd and trackpoint mouse with 3 buttons (disable touchpad in bios)

Sometimes X gets both working, most times it gets only the touchpad
(works fine ~= 1 time out of 5 boots).

>   bluetooth

I never tried.

>   internal disk and cdrom via AHCI controller.

I have to stay in compatibility mode because it dual boots with Windows
XP (duh).

>   ACPI to read battery status (sees ultrabay battery as well as main)

Works fine.

>   sound playback (music, cute GNOME noises)

Skips weirdly under stress (i/o).

>   Fn- keys to turn on keyboard light, change brightness, enable
>   bluetooth, and volume controls
>
>   dual processors work ok with GENERIC.MP

Works here too.

>   speedstep seems to work at high/low speeds - no Core Duo table is
>   present.  if booted on battery it's on low.

I did not bother to check this.

>   hardware build quality seems quite good, better than T30, maybe a
>   bit better than T42/T43, almost like the good old days of the 600E
>   (my 1999 600E and 1998 600 are still going strong).

My screen hinges get loose over time. But I'm traveling a lot.

>   thermal management is decent; it doesn't get scarily hot like the T30.

Nice and cool.

> Things that don't work
>
>   ACPI suspend (locks up)

Same here.

>   after being in X11, switching back to text console  via C-A-F1 or
>   killing X server results in expanded text that lets you see only ~
>   first half of first half of the lines.

Works fine here, besides the double cursor without framebuffer (netbsd's
hard cursor plus a blinking cursor at top left), or without a cursor
with framebuffer (I did not try that again for a while).

>   builtin serial port :-)  Seriously, there just isn't one unless
>   maybe you get some docking station.

Both uplcom and ulpt work fine when all lines are wired. When only TX,
RX and GND are wired I can read data but nothing ever gets sent. I
experienced the same behavior on Linux but FreeBSD worked fine (on
different hardware).

>   Using touchpad at same time as trackpoint, but I suspect it is ok
>   with the new synaptics code in current or patches from the list.

Oh right, I never tried synaptics.

>   microphone.  This is azalia(4) and there are some odd settings you
>   need to poke, but I think it's really ok.

I got it to work 6 months ago. But it was like looking for a black
needle on a dark floor during the night with no moon :)

> The text console bit is annoying, but I tend to stay in X once I go
> there, so it's not high on my problem list.

Since recently:
- the poweroff button sometimes takes 2 minutes to actually do anything;
- calling shutdown sometimes hangs with a black screen (vga text mode,
blinking cursor) as soon as it exits Xorg.

I probably won't be able to look at any of this myself in the next four
weeks. I tried, and wish I could still help. I don't want to switch to
anything else for the moment anyway :)

HTH,
--
khorben