Subject: Re: Boot without an active serial console?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/22/2007 08:50:27
On Mar 22, 2007, at 8:25 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Two things to check:
>
>   are bootblocks configured to boot with asking?   If you attach to
>   the console port first, does it boot ok?

   Yup.  Sorry, I should've mentioned that.  If I connect to the
serial port before powering the machine on, it boots up just fine,
without waiting for anything.

>   Presumably the cisco server is DTE and has a null modem cable, or
>   it's wired as DCE.  Does it assert DTR (or DSR if it's DCE)?  Does
>   it keep the TXD line in break?   Does the machine boot if you
>   disconnect the cable?

   This I should check.  Thanks.  I'll try disconnecting the cable
and see if that works, it is possible the cisco is indicating a
*lack* of connection.  :-)

                              - Chris