Subject: Re: Boot without an active serial console?
To: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/22/2007 08:25:29
Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com> writes:

>   I have a NetBSD 3-ish system at home, with a serial console,
> connected to a Cisco console server.  But, I don't have anything
> constantly managing that console port.  I've noticed that when I boot
> that machine without anything attached to the Cisco console port, it
> will drop into the prompt in the MBR system, and not continue until I
> initialize the serial console connection and tell it to boot.

Two things to check:

  are bootblocks configured to boot with asking?   If you attach to
  the console port first, does it boot ok?

  Presumably the cisco server is DTE and has a null modem cable, or
  it's wired as DCE.  Does it assert DTR (or DSR if it's DCE)?  Does
  it keep the TXD line in break?   Does the machine boot if you
  disconnect the cable?