Subject: Boot without an active serial console?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/21/2007 17:39:53
   Hi there.  I hope this gets the right people to ask this question.

   I have a NetBSD 3-ish system at home, with a serial console,
connected to a Cisco console server.  But, I don't have anything
constantly managing that console port.  I've noticed that when I boot
that machine without anything attached to the Cisco console port, it
will drop into the prompt in the MBR system, and not continue until I
initialize the serial console connection and tell it to boot.

   Is this normal?  Is there a way to avoid it?  I intend to ship out
an old 486 system in the near future that will have a 100%  (okay,
99%) unmanaged serial console.  The console will be there if I need
to talk to it, but it will be at a remote site with no management
infrastructure, and I hope to let it "just keep ticking" as much as
possible, so this issue concerned me some.

   Anyone familiar with this issue?  Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks much...

                            - Chris