Subject: Re: Sysinst won't install onto ld0 on NetBSD 4.0 Beta 2
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: David W. Rankin Jr. <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/12/2007 17:14:04
On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 04:39:34PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> At Fri, 9 Mar 2007 16:08:29 -0500,
> David W. Rankin Jr. wrote:

> > I wanted to follow-up on this again, since the discussion has been quiet
> > a few days. I found that the SCSI cable in my Dell was bad, and replaced
> > it, but this has NOT fixed my ld0 issue. Even with the fix, I can install
> > 4.0 Beta 2 onto the machine with the RAID adapter turned off, but I
> > cannot install onto ld0. sysinst won't see the disk. fdisk returns
> > DIOCGDEFLABEL: Inappropriate ioctl for device, but will write an
> > MBR and partition information when asked. I can even write a disklabel
> > and newfs a filesystem.

> Hmm..... that's somewhat similar to the way the HP-NetRAID-4m behaves in
> my Dell 2650.

> 	http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/port-i386/2007/03/01/0005.html

> Can you try reading from the ld0 device, e.g. from a shell started from
> sysinst and confirm that you can read actual data, and not just zeros?

Yes, it reads OK. I've also installed NetBSD 3.1 and done a field upgrade.
On the 4.0 Beta kernel (GENERIC.MPACPI), the ioctl problem shows up
still, but it can boot from ld0 just fine. (I did get a crash last night,
but it scrolled off my console, so I'm not sure what happened there. I'll
catch it tonight if it does it again.)

I haven't tried putting anything on ld1 yet, but that is on my agenda.

I have my machine up and running from the serial console (at least at
night, it's too loud in my office for the kids and Milady during
homeschool time... ;) . I can run a test kernel or do any testing anyone
would like.

Thanks,
David

--
David W. Rankin, Jr.     Christian, Husband, Father, and UNIX Sysadmin.
   ".... As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15