Subject: Re: Sysinst won't install onto ld0 on NetBSD 4.0 Beta 2
To: David W. Rankin Jr. <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/01/2007 21:47:43
At Thu, 1 Mar 2007 21:02:00 -0500,
David W. Rankin Jr. wrote:

> Thanks to some of Matthias' help earlier, I think I have the problem
> isolated. Somewhere between NetBSD 3.1 and 4.0 Beta 2, the ld0
> driver has quit responding to the DIOCGDEFLABEL ioctl. When trying
> to run "fdisk ld0d" from a 4.0 Beta 2 disk, I get the error message
> 	fdisk: DIOCGDEFLABEL: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> but fdisk will still let me update the disk and make a partition.

That doesn't sound right, though I don't know that I paid such close
attention to any "warning" messages during the install.

In any case I didn't have any trouble doing an install on my PE2650 to
an "ld0" device, and that was with sysinst, from a full from-scratch
build of a normal bootable installation CD, using the netbsd-4 branch
sometime in the first or second week of February (the CD with the actual
date on it is downstairs and I'm too lazy to run down and look :-))

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>       Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>