Subject: Re: Sysinst won't install onto ld0 on NetBSD 4.0 Beta 2
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: David W. Rankin Jr. <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/2007 11:09:39
On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 12:56:37PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 12:12:10AM -0500, David W. Rankin Jr. wrote:
> > > Exit out of "sysinst" via the menu and try "dmesg | grep ld" to figure
> > > out whether NetBSD recognized any

> > The boot messages (as below, from a capture of the boot output) shows
> > ld0. dmesg can read and write ld0, but one strange message pops up:
> > 	fdisk: DIOCGDEFLABEL: Inappropriate ioctl for device

> That might be the cause of your problem.

I think you're right. DIOCGDEFLABEL problems will cause sysinst to
skip the disk.

I've looked in ld.c, and based on the very little I know of kernel
hacking, it looks like it implements the DIOCGDEFLABEL ioctl just
fine.

Can anyone suggest where to go to diagnose this one further?
> BTW: how old is your NetBSD 4.0_BETA2?

I build that code from a tree updated around 1400 UTC (9AM EST US)
Tuesday. I re-updated and started rebuilding around 1500 UTC today
(including deleting ./obj), just in case I missed something.

Thanks,
David

--
David W. Rankin, Jr.     Christian, Husband, Father, and UNIX Sysadmin.
   ".... As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15