Subject: Re: Status of math_emulate
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/25/2007 23:27:28
On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 07:17:17PM -0500, Pierre Dubuc wrote:
> I see some old posts on the lists about the math_emulate option. Some
> posts suggest that at one point, the emulation was somehow incomplete.

kernel FPU emulation is incomplete, and doesn't do fsqrt.  it wouldn't
be a big deal if gcc wasn't generating fsqrt, but somehow the default
no-fancy-math flag got lost somewhere in the shuffle from egcs to gcc3.

I think you could work around it by adding "-mno-fancy-math-387" to
CFLAGS/COPTS (I always forget which) and rebuilding the world, to avoid
generating any sqrt calls, or maybe even "-msoft-float" to avoid
generating floating point at all.

http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=6986

apparently appending to an existing PR doesn't re-open it.  this is the
same issue.

              "silly brewer, saaz are for pils!"  --  virt