Subject: Re: Intel 97 motherboards and corrupt dmesg
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2007 15:01:26
I'm curious as to why this always seems to happen with 945 or newer
Intel motherboards; could it be related to their "legacy" BIOS
emulation?  I had an intel motherboard based on an ATI XPRESS chipset
(101-series), and this did not happen (btw, don't buy that board, it's
about as configurable as the USSR's economy was).  I have never seen
this problem on any other hardware, although I believe I might've seen
it on a sun4c machine running OpenBSD once.

I think I'm going to see if I can get developer's documentation for
this board from intel; I'd like to also figure out why my USB ports
are randomly disabled and why the ACPI fdc driver can't map the I/O
space the motherboard tells it to.  It's very stable hardware (I wish
I had ECC memory though)   , but it has many, many quirks that I'd
like to resolve.

--Blair

--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11