Subject: Re: Re: Novatel Wireless 3G card support ?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/23/2007 22:32:17
--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI

OK, I'm back on that...

On Wed, Feb 07 2007 - 21:00, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > Grepping another time for "ugen", I found:
> > ugen0: Novatel Wireless Novatel Wireless HSDPA Modem, rev 1.10/0.00, ad=
dr 3

> > Not sure if I missed it last time I greped or if I had the "dell wirele=
ss
> > switch" switched off... Anyway, gonna read some doc on how to "just run
> > ppp" :)
>=20
> It's not yet clear what's going on, but that's encouraging.  That
> device may work with ugensa(4) or with another usb/serial device.
>=20
> First, you probably want to try current.  I just committed untested
> support from FreeBSD for a Novatel Wireless Merlin CDMA modem, and
> this may be similar.  Last summer I committed support for a Novatel
> GPS receiver which also uses ugensa.
>=20
> Run 'usbdevs -v', and find the manufacturer and product codes.
>=20

here's the modem part:
  port 1 powered
  port 2 addr 3: full speed, power 500 mA, config 1, Novatel Wireless
HSDPA Modem(0x8116), Novatel Wireless(0x413c), rev 0.00

> See src/sys/dev/usbdevs, and edit them the new values in.
> Regenerate by 'make -f Makefile.usbdevs'.

in sys/dev/usb/usbdevs, there already is a NOVATEL definition:
vendor NOVATEL          0x09d7  NovAtel

but I also found:
vendor DELL             0x413c  Dell

So... should I had "0x8116" in the DELL devices list should I add
another entry for "0x413c" and add the "0x8116" entry in it's device
section ?

TIA,
	Jo

>=20
> In ugensa.c, add a line to ugensa_devs to match your device.  Rebuild
> the kernel and try it.  If it boots and attaches, try to talk to the
> device (kermit or cu), and send AT<cr> and see if you get OK.
>=20
> If so, search the net for how to talk to your 3G *service* (not card,
> you'll then be on the next step of making a connection given that you
> could run ppp if only you knew how).  Typically there's some
> ATDTfoobar string to initiate a call, and sometimes a local username
> to use with pppd auth, and you set up ppp/chat.
>=20
> I've used EVDO with verizon and sprint, but not HSDPA, and I'm not
> even sure if that's just sprint's name for EVDO.
>=20
> --=20
>     Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI