Subject: Re: Novatel Wireless 3G card support ?
To: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/07/2007 21:00:15
> Grepping another time for "ugen", I found:
> ugen0: Novatel Wireless Novatel Wireless HSDPA Modem, rev 1.10/0.00, addr 3
>
> Not sure if I missed it last time I greped or if I had the "dell wireless
> switch" switched off... Anyway, gonna read some doc on how to "just run
> ppp" :)

It's not yet clear what's going on, but that's encouraging.  That
device may work with ugensa(4) or with another usb/serial device.

First, you probably want to try current.  I just committed untested
support from FreeBSD for a Novatel Wireless Merlin CDMA modem, and
this may be similar.  Last summer I committed support for a Novatel
GPS receiver which also uses ugensa.

Run 'usbdevs -v', and find the manufacturer and product codes.

See src/sys/dev/usbdevs, and edit them the new values in.
Regenerate by 'make -f Makefile.usbdevs'.

In ugensa.c, add a line to ugensa_devs to match your device.  Rebuild
the kernel and try it.  If it boots and attaches, try to talk to the
device (kermit or cu), and send AT<cr> and see if you get OK.

If so, search the net for how to talk to your 3G *service* (not card,
you'll then be on the next step of making a connection given that you
could run ppp if only you knew how).  Typically there's some
ATDTfoobar string to initiate a call, and sometimes a local username
to use with pppd auth, and you set up ppp/chat.

I've used EVDO with verizon and sprint, but not HSDPA, and I'm not
even sure if that's just sprint's name for EVDO.

--
    Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>