Subject: Re: {npx,pckbc}* at isa?
To: David Brownlee <abs@absd.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/2007 23:10:07
--fTdpWH5/fVS2oCf7

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 09:58:00PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 12:29:09AM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> >=20
> > In the end, why do people care so much about that?  If you're really in
> > a situation where you keep switching between a kernel that has acpi
> > attachments and one that doesn't, you might as well wire down an
> > instance of npx at acpi and one of pckbc at acpi.  It's not like you'll
> > ever see both attaching anyway.
>=20
> A problem I do have is that the 2 serial ports on my 'ASUS A8V Delux'
> get mapped in the wrong order by the ACPI kernel.

Wrong order from what point of view?  Things like e.g. console detection
use the address the port is mapped to, so they won't break.

> When enabled in the bios, these serial ports are rather tied to their
> IO addresses, and really should be attachable to the correct devices.

Again, correct from what point of view?  Arguably the UID could be used
to order devices of the same class in the same scope, but it's not
guaranteed to be a number IIRC.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--fTdpWH5/fVS2oCf7

--fTdpWH5/fVS2oCf7--