Subject: Re: Conexant wintv
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/19/2007 09:57:19
--ZARJHfwaSJQLOEUz

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 05:24:34PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> I just received a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 3000, and am disappointed to find it
> has
>=20
> Conexant Systems product 0x8800 (video multimedia, revision 0x05)
> Conexant Systems product 0x8811 (miscellaneous multimedia, revision 0x05)
> Conexant Systems product 0x8802 (miscellaneous multimedia, revision 0x05)
> Conexant Systems product 0x8804 (miscellaneous multimedia, revision 0x05)
>=20
> rather than Brooktree chips on it - any thoughts on what do with it?
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
> Patrick
> (I have come across http://ivtvdriver.org/ which looks like a start..)

I doubt it, this is not a CX2341[56]-based card.

http://www.hauppauge.fr/images/hvr3000_board-front.jpg
Shows a CX23882 controller, a CX22702 DVB-T demodulator,
and half of the Conexant DVB-S frontend.

Google for cx23880+datasheet.

It has a design obviously inspired by the the 848 family.

Getting this supported is possible, but some of the documentation
is in the form of the Linux cx88 driver, and related support drivers.

The reason I came back to this is because I realized that a project I
began investigating soon after this is very similar.  In my case
I'm looking to create a driver for an ATSC card based on this same
controller chip family.

Getting analog TV is not a pretty prospect, as we have no v4l-like
framework driver.  Bktr(4) is stand alone, making other dissimilar
cards almost need their own totally separate driver, though the
meteor/bktr API could be reused.  Plus, in all practicality,
NTSC (and probably PAL and SECAM) is dead.

I've figured that I could use the linux-dvb api, and not worry about
the analog stuff.

I would love some help.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--ZARJHfwaSJQLOEUz