Subject: cgd: booting unattended (without it)
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@encs.concordia.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2007 22:54:00
> Now on to my next cgd issue, about which I'll post under a new thread
> if I cannot find an answer via Google...

Didn't think so.  :-/

If my system has to boot without me present, I'd like it to come up
but simply not configure the cgd nor mount its filesstem(s).  I'm
making sure that nothing on the cgd is required for basic system
operation, such that I can always come in later (remotely if
necessary) and manually configure the cgd and mount filesystems.

It would be very cool if it were possible to pass a timeout parameter
to "cgdconfig", telling it that if a password fails to be received
within a certain time, just give up.  As the moment, it looks as
though it would just hang there forever and stop the system from
booting if I'm not around.

In the absence of such a facility (and I'm not a comfortable enough C
programmer that I could come up with a reliable patch in a reasonable
amount of time!), here's my idea: change the cgd script to time out
in the absence of input using one of the mechanisms described in:

  http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9369/sam0610j/0610j.htm

Make the cgd filesystems "noauto" in /etc/fstab, and add an rc script
to mount those filesystems only if it can be determined that the cgd
was configured (not sure yet how to do that).

Well, if anyone has a better way to do this, I'm all ears (eyes!).

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Sysadmin, ENCS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne@encs.concordia.ca                                    +1 514 848-2424 x2285