Subject: Re: i386 install kernels
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2007 13:39:49
On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 11:44:53AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> I've been thinking of adding another install kernel and ramdisk to the i386
> (and probably amd64) build.
> This would be aimed at modern (ok probably PIII and later) systems.
>
> Proposed features:
>
> - For native CD boot (no 2.8MB limit)
> - ACPI support for laptops and other newer systems.
> - LFS support
> - No support for EISA and some old network/SCSI cards
> - Few ISA devices

IMO such kernel should have everything that INSTALL has, including EISA
and ISA network and SCSI cards. This way, such kernel is suitable for all
machines and you don't have to think about what kernel to use for install,
unless you have problems with native CD boot.

Otherwise, I agree.

I'll hopefully work on updating distrib/cdrom for the native CD boot.

Pavel