Subject: Re: i386 install kernels
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2007 12:49:49
On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 11:44:53AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> I've been thinking of adding another install kernel and ramdisk to the i386
> (and probably amd64) build.
> This would be aimed at modern (ok probably PIII and later) systems.
>
> Proposed features:
>
> - For native CD boot (no 2.8MB limit)
> - ACPI support for laptops and other newer systems.
> - LFS support
> - No support for EISA and some old network/SCSI cards
> - Few ISA devices
>
> I still intend having an embedded ramdisk for the root filesystem.
> This makes it possibly to pxeboot the install kernel, as well as having
> different kernels selectable from the bootloader with different root fs
> (eg i386 and amd64 binaries).

Looks good. Thanks for working on this !

> I am thinking of calling the kernel INSTALL_CD with ramdisk-cd.
> The kernel probably ends up being a merge of GENERIC.MPACPI INSTALL
> and INSTALL_LAPTOP.

As we have INSTALL_SMALL and _TINY, we could call it INSTALL_L, then
in the future we'll have XL, XXL, etc :)
The problem with INSTALL_CD is that the name doesn't make it clear it's limited
to some class of hardware. The ISO image could have both this kernel
and INSTALL, isn't it ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>