Subject: Re: Thinkpad T60 mostly works - trouble with wm(4)
To: Holger Weiss <lists@jhweiss.de>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/08/2007 17:58:03
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 23:36:09 +0100
Holger Weiss <lists@jhweiss.de> wrote:

> > The big problem is wm0.
>
> I only tried it within my private 100 Mbit LAN and haven't used it
> much so far, but I don't see the errors you got and it seems to work
> fine on my machine.  I had to set "media 100baseTX" manually as no
> data is transmitted when using "media autoselect" (despite the
> ifconfig(1) output being correct).  However, I just stumbled over a
> more recent thread[*] where you state something similar.

There are lots of problems being reported with link speed negotiation
on wm boards -- and that's too bad, because other than that they're
nice boards.  I'm gathering a bit more data before I file a PR, but
thus far we have reports of:

	100M and 1000M working, but 10M not working even though detected
	In addition, in at least some situations after setting 10
	manually it not switching to anything higher, even though it
	says it does
	100M not being detected, but setting it manually works; 1000M
	works on those chips
	Crashes due to phy problems

There's something seriously borked in that driver...