Subject: Re: Conexant wintv
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Neil Ludban <nludban@columbus.rr.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/26/2006 11:05:21
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:53:23 +0000
Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 06:47:34PM -0600, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 05:24:34PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > > I just received a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 3000, and am disappointed to find it
> > > has
> > >
> > > Conexant Systems product 0x8800 (video multimedia, revision 0x05)
> > > Conexant Systems product 0x8811 (miscellaneous multimedia, revision 0x05)
> > > Conexant Systems product 0x8802 (miscellaneous multimedia, revision 0x05)
> > > Conexant Systems product 0x8804 (miscellaneous multimedia, revision 0x05)
> > >
> > > rather than Brooktree chips on it - any thoughts on what do with it?
> >
> > Well, Conexant is Brooktree, but I have no idea if these chips are
> > compatible.
>
> bktr(4) wasn't happy, but now I have a starting point :-) Feel free to
> apply attached patch..

AFAIK, they're completely different: bktr(4) captures raw image frames,
the WinTV-PVRs do hardware mpeg encoding, and HD is transmitted as mpeg.
The different models and chipsets are outlined here:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauppauge_Computer_Works

The unofficial cxm(4) drivers for FreeBSD may be a better starting point:
  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/multimedia/pvr250
  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/multimedia/pvrxxx

-Neil