Subject: Re: rtk0: watchdog timeout problem on 4.0-beta2
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2006 15:49:10
On 14 Dec 2006, at 19:55, David Lord wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2006, at 18:54, David Lord wrote:
>

> > I updated 3.1 on a Dell Inspiron 3500 and now find on 4.0-beta I'm
> > getting hangs due to 'rtk0: watchdog timeout'. Is this a known
> > problem?
> >
> > I must have copied over several GB on 3.1 without problem whilst
> > trying to install Ubuntu an Win98 to multiboot on same machine.
> >
> > 'ping -c 1 servername' gets the link going again but means it can't
> > be left unattended.
>
> What is very strange is it's ok now after using ntpdate to set time
> (adjusted by about 20 seconds).

Well it was ok for about 10 minutes plus time to post the above.

I've now tried with various acpi and ioapic kernel options without
making a difference, meanwhile having installed 164 packages with two
failures, chrony and epic4, and about 190 to go to have similar to
another notebook on 3.1.

I've now found that if I boot without the cardbus present I get a
hang at login prompt. I also tried a cardbus Realtek 8169 and that
gives a hang after about 100 KB downloaded.

I'm thinking to try without acpi if that's possible and to juggle
with pcmcia options after getting some more verbose configuration
output. I'd really like to get this working as so far 4.0 has seemed
noticeably faster and more responsive than 3.1.

Inspiron 3500, Intel Celeron (Mendocino) (686-class), 366 MHz.
NetBSD 4.0_BETA2 200612060000Z.

I've noticed that there is now 200612060000Z, is it possible to find
a list of changes from 20061206?

David