Subject: Re: Bootable Zip Disk
To: Andrew Ball <aball@students.prairiestate.edu>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/04/2006 21:41:53
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 02:41:19AM -0000, Andrew Ball wrote:

> Remaining is the chore of making the disk bootable.  If I remember
> correctly, I need bootstrap programs in the disk's master boot record
> and in the NetBSD partition's boot sector.  The catch is that I don't
> have a working NetBSD 3.x machine that I can use to put them there.  I
> do have access to some NetBSD 1.6.x and 2.x machines though.

The mbr code from an old system is probably fine...
Alternatively you just need to copy the 'code' part of /usr/mdec/mbr
into the first 512-66 bytes of sector 0 - to avoid the partition table.

You also need to get /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1 (or equiv) into the start
of the mbr partition without overwriting the NetBSD label in the second
sector.  You should be able to do this using dd (twice), note the 512
bytes of zeros between 0x200 and 0x3ff - where the label goes..

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk