Subject: Re: time for INSTALL.ACPI ?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/13/2006 20:41:35
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 08:46:57PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > Would it be safe to simply switch on acpi in INSTALL?
>
> The main problem is that there are some brocken ACPI implementations out
> there (and still some bugs left in our ACPI code I guess). So we really need
> both ...

Following on from another suggestion in another thread...
We could have a 'small' install kernel without ACPI that fits inside the
2GB limit - and so will boot with floopy emulation and on old systems, and
a larger instal kernel more suited to modern systems with ACPI, LFS (and
maybe without some of the ancient ISA card support) that doesn't have
to be under 2GB.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk