Subject: Re: Removing I386_CPU from GENERIC and INSTALL
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.ne.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/02/2006 07:16:13
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 10:39:14AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Christian Biere wrote:
>
> > Henry Nelson wrote:
> >> In short, I don't see much sense in supporting these machines anymore
> >> in current, i.e., not only remove I386_CPU and MATH_EMULATE from GENERIC
> >> and INSTALL, but rather drop them altogether.
> >
> > Just for the record, an i486SX has no FPU either.
>
>  	I would suggest targeting 586 as the base target for the port,
>  	and have a special i386 + i486 kernel for those that need it.
>
>  	Of course we could create an i586 port, which would really
>  	allow us to shake out the x86 shared code (but only if we

Best idea I've heard yet.  Sounds like the most efficient in the long run.
Perhaps use the name "intel" (of course Intel Corp might not allow this?)
to avoid confusion.

(Is there anyone bold enough to ask for _active_ development of a <90MHz
pre-pentium?  Many of us had to bite the bullet on NEC98s 5 years ago.
We were lucky to have someone who loved those machines for as long as we
did.  I think this is the same as the "IBM compatible" i386s and i486s.)

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba(dot)ne(dot)jp/(tilde)home/