Subject: Re: loading kernel fails w/ 'read text: Input/output error'
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/01/2006 04:21:07
On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 02:09:11AM -0600, David Young wrote:
> The i386 bootlaoder fails as it loads a 4442957-byte kernel, /netbsd, from
> my FFS filesystem on /dev/wd0e, printing 'read text: Input/output error'.
> The same bootloader loads the kernel just fine if I gzip it (/netbsd.gz,
> 2071303 bytes).

Curiously, I cannot any longer boot the compressed kernel.

Here is a second report of the same problem, coming from a student
collaborator.  He is using a Soekris net4826 with integrated CompactFlash
(my machine is an old desktop PC with an IDE->CF adapter).  We are both
having trouble booting from the /dev/wd0e partition.  /dev/wd0a on the
same CF card works fine.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 03:58:16PM -0600, Lu-chuan Kung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've encountered a weird problem after upgrading node image on our
> net4826 boards. I'm sure the image file is good because there are other
> nodes who are running on the same image. The boot loader have a
> "Input/output error" when loading the kernel image (/netbsd) on
> /dev/wd0e. I checked the kernel image file by diff and it looks just
> fine. I've noticed that all the problmatic boards have the kernel image
> on /dev/wd0e instead of /dev/wd0a. Can anyone tell me what might cause
> the problem? The following are the booting messages I got after upgrade:

Dave