Subject: Re: Install NetBSD from a USB memory stick?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/20/2006 10:30:01
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Steven Sartorius wrote:
> In effect, I'd like to "burn" a NetBSD .iso file onto the memory
> stick; when I boot from the stick I drop right into sysinst.  Anyone
> done this before?  Any tips/advice?

* Use fdisk to partition the disk into some slack space for the
  MBR plus a large MBR-style partition for NetBSD.
* Use fdisk to install the MBR code.
* Use disklabel to partition the disk into a large root partition.
* Mount the disk.
* Copy everything you want onto the disk.  In your case, this would include
  the tgz distribution files and a kernel with embedded sysinst.
* Use installboot and related incantations to install the boot blocks.
* Test.

I am not sure how you would tell sysinst to find the tgz files.  It
might Just Work.

--apb (Alan Barrett)