Subject: Re: Boot problems with Mini-itx PD6000E
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/16/2006 09:45:13
On 16 Oct 2006, at 0:33, David Lord wrote:

> On 15 Oct 2006, at 19:15, Claus Andersen wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, David Lord wrote:
> >
> > > Mid June I built up a server using a EPIA PD6000E m/b. I sort of
> > > remember some issue with getting it to boot after install of
> > > NetBSD 3.0 but didn't save the details.
> >
> > You're probably thinking of PR 26007:
> > http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=26007
> >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > I don't know about the geometry issues but I do know that the
> > bootloader has problems on some Epia boards.
> >
> > > Other problem is that I can't get a NetBSD-4_20061001 cd to boot
> > > on this system whereas the cd boots ok on my desktop (celeron
> > > 733). I might burn a second cd in case it's just the media.
> >
> > Depends on how far you get. If the CD starts booting at least, the
> > media is probably fine. I'd try with a 1.6 bootloader:
> > http://netbsd.org/Ports/i386/faq.html#via_epia_bootloader
>
> Thanks for that link.
>
> I don't think that's the problem here as on first of the PD6000E I
> setup with 3.0 then 3.0.1 and now 3.1rc1 all have been fine, single
> user as well. It's possible there are some differences between the two
> setups and I'll compare dmesg from each and note details of m/b bios
> versions at next reboots. One difference is on first setup the cd is
> master on second controller whilst this new one it's slave on first
> controller and there is a removable hdd on second controller onto
> which I'm currently restoring the dumps from first system. I'm then

This morning I tried interrupting boot and 'boot hd1a:netbsd' which
booted through until it met some symlinks I'd forgotten needed fixing
to suit slightly different partition layout. It then dropped to
single user. I also now get straight to single user from
'boot hd1a:netbsd -s'. So it looks like the original geometry issue
and my attempt to fix that are most likely cause of
'boot hd0a:netbsd' locking up. Now I'll reinstall hd0 same method
used for hd1. The second disk hd1 is destined for an EPIA ME6000G
system.

David