Subject: Re: Intel Mini?
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/04/2006 16:37:28
In message <098FBF95-1D7F-4326-930C-F5AF15772E6F@shagadelic.org>, Jason Thorpe
writes:
>Honestly, this is my biggest reason for not using NetBSD on a desktop
>system, as well.  Note: I wouldn't use Solaris, or Linux, or anything
>else for that matter that depended on klunky X11 apps for day-to-day
>stuff like email, calendaring, web browsing, etc.  No, text-based apps
>don't count.
>
>KDE, GNOME, Firefox, whatever ... they all suck, IMO.  I just happen
>to like the Mac apps a whole lot better.

You know, a discussion of viable NetBSD desktop environments (for different
kinds of viability) might be rather interesting, but it's no longer port-i386.

But what list would it go on?  Advocacy, maybe?

I would point out that the initial starting point of this thread is that I
have a machine running OS X, but I want to use it as a desktop workstation,
and thus I want NetBSD on it.  But then, my requirements are odd.  Most of my
work happens in an 80x30 xterm that completely fills a 1600x1200 screen.  (As
in, I have to suppress even the one-pixel border in my wm to get it to fit.)

-s