Subject: Re: Intel Mini?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/04/2006 11:04:23
I know I'm probably going to regret this ....

Everyone has their personal preference.  I work with a dozen hard-
core unix geeks. About 1/4 of them have OS X on their desktops.  Some
of those are strictly OS X and nothing else. Others are mixed.  The
other 3/4 are linux desktop users.

Personally, at work, I have 2 monitors with OS X, 2 monitors with
NetBSD/ctwm, and one monitor with Windoze (for corporate
conformancy).  One keyboard/mouse linked using Synergy.  The keyboard/
mouse are on the NetBSD machine.

I use the NetBSD monitors as my main monitors.  They're directly in
front of me.  They have my icb windows, and 8 desktops full of
xterms.  The OS X monitors are to my right and comprise mostly my
personal stuff.  My email client, web browser, iTunes, jabber, lobby-
cam, address-book, pdf viewer, keychain, etc.  The windows monitor is
really just a corporate laptop running XP and stupid corporate
document management apps, corporate email, etc...   The NetBSD
monitors never run anything _but_ xterms.

At home I have nothing but OS X on the desktop.  NetBSD in the rack,
and Linux plugged into the TV.  Sorry, but until y'all figure out how
to get ivtv drivers working on NetBSD, Linux wins my television.

So, why does anyone care whether or not NetBSD developers have
devoted their lives to NetBSD?  I just want my desktop to work. I
don't want to mess around with it.  I think the OSS 'productivity
tools' basically suck azz.. It's my opinion. But none of those are
NetBSD tools.  Those are all tools that sit on top of NetBSD.  Until
other OSS groups make productivity tools that don't suck, I'll keep
sticking with OS X.

I will note, however, that while I've been using OS X for a number of
years on my desktops,  I've been running the Saab webservers on
NetBSD for just over 8 years now so don't accuse me of being a sellout.