Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on EPIA 5000
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/22/2006 12:24:58
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Stephen Borrill wrote:

>> So: What is the easiest and clean method to get to 3.0.1 happiness on this
>> system?
>
> Gavan's patch (which was committed) works fine, but he'd be the first to
> admit it's a hack. David wants to fix it properly.
>
> When I last installed 3.x-ish the standard mbr boot loaders work fine, but
> not the pxeboot ones. This is because of -DEPIA_HACK being missed out from
> pxeboot/Makefile. See:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2006/08/18/0002.html

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. I actually _tried_ booting the system
from CD's (1.6.2 and 3.0.1). I could not boot the 3.0.1 on my Epia 5000 has
the same experience as noted by Steve Rumble: "While 1.6 works fine, the
present code causes the monitor to attempt to resync like crazy, followed
by either an eventual reboot, or a hard hang."
If I understand it correctly Gavan's patch should already be part of 3.x
(except pxeboot) so basicly I (think I) am saying that the hack did not
cover Epia 5000.

--
Kind Regards,
Claus Andersen