Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on EPIA 5000
To: Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/22/2006 10:34:49
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Claus Andersen wrote:
> I am attempting a fresh install of NetBSD on a new(ish) VIA Epia 5000 board:
> * NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot, Revision 2.13 on NetBSD 1.6.2 works fine.
> * NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot, Revision 3.2 on NetBSD 3.0.1 does not work (as I
> intend!).
>
> This has been clearly identified and documented in PR 26007:
> http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=26007
>
> The PR has not been touched since Dec 09 2005 so it made me wonder:
> * Did any testing hardware reach David Laight?

I've offered hardware and David's said he's happy to look at it (he lives
nearby). Unfortunately the hardware is currently on loan elsewhere, but I
should be getting it back in the next few weeks so I'll drop it round
then.

[snip]
> So: What is the easiest and clean method to get to 3.0.1 happiness on this
> system?

Gavan's patch (which was committed) works fine, but he'd be the first to
admit it's a hack. David wants to fix it properly.

When I last installed 3.x-ish the standard mbr boot loaders work fine,
but not the pxeboot ones. This is because of -DEPIA_HACK being missed out
from pxeboot/Makefile. See:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2006/08/18/0002.html

I should really send-pr this. Given that 3.1 won't get David's
not-yet-in-existence fixes, this ought to be in 3.1 before release.

Any of the release team reading this? :-)

--
Stephen