Subject: Installing NetBSD on EPIA 5000
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Claus Andersen <clan@wheel.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/22/2006 10:43:28
Hi,

I am attempting a fresh install of NetBSD on a new(ish) VIA Epia 5000 board:
  * NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot, Revision 2.13 on NetBSD 1.6.2 works fine.
  * NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot, Revision 3.2 on NetBSD 3.0.1 does not work (as I
intend!).

This has been clearly identified and documented in PR 26007:
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=26007

The PR has not been touched since Dec 09 2005 so it made me wonder:
  * Did any testing hardware reach David Laight?
  * Or was the problem simply too hard to fix? (Boot loader code seems
pretty much like magic incantations)
  * What important changes happened to the boot loader since it wasn't
reverted back to the previous version?
  * Would it be an idea to provide an alternate install kernel/floppy
"boot-epia" with the next NetBSD release using the old boot loader in the
same manner as "boot-ps2" as a workaround for the mere mortals?

I thought about installing 1.6.2 and then upgrade but have no clue how to
do that properly without booting the 3.0.1 install kernel. Furthermore the
documentation urges to upgrade/replace the boot blocks but I suppose
(hope) that part could be skipped.
For a second I fell in love with kloader(4) and thought I could boot 3.0.1
through the 1.6.2 install shell. The short moment of bliss was however
quickly squashed by fvdl:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-install/2006/02/16/0004.html

So: What is the easiest and clean method to get to 3.0.1 happiness on this
system?

I am simply a monkey toying around with a loaded gun so my apologies if it
is obvious or already has been answered elsewhere.

Kind Regards,
Claus Andersen

--
Nothing here