Subject: Re: RTC and clocks
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/19/2006 11:40:47
--zDvWSDb6AezIY5Za

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 08:18:19PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> The original mystery was that "date; sleep 60; date" on my laptop would
> take exactly 60 seconds, and print timestamps 35 seconds apart.

My guess: you're running current, on a laptop with some form of
speedstep, and for a time you had a kernel that used the TSC
timecounter without paying attention to the fact that the cpu clock
rate changes the tsc clock rate on your cpu.  There was a relatively
short time-window in current when this would happen on some machines.

You might even find that 35:60 is pretty close to the ratio of the cpu
idle:max frequencies.

> I replaced the laptop's CMOS battery, and this no longer happens.

I suspect this is a coincidence, and a kernel update was what actually
fixed the problem (by using the acpi or some other stable timecounter
instead).

Otherwise: weird.

--
Dan.