Subject: Re: can i get ver 1.130 of usb_subr.c into 3.0 kernel?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Paul (NCC/CS). <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/07/2006 14:45:44
OK:)

it worked for Steves Wife, so it should work for me.

It "looked"  like it wasn't working, but IT WAS.

despite on console:

sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <Apple, iPod, 1.63> disk removable
sd0(umass0:0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
    SENSE KEY:  Not Ready
     ASC/ASCQ:  Logical Unit Is in Process Of Becoming Ready

sd0: drive offline

I did
su# disklabel sd0
# /dev/rsd0d:
type: SCSI
snip//
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 d:  39063024         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -   2431*)
 f:  38973690     80325      MSDOS                     # (Cyl.      5 -   2430)
disklabel: boot block size 0
disklabel: super block size 0

so f is visible.

i changed the entry in fstab and mounted it and ran gtkpod and WALLAH!
it works.

sorry , i was misled by the original message and thought it was no good.

Thanks to all:)

Paul.

"Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 14:06:27 +1000, "Paul (NCC/CS)." <pts@bom.gov.au>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > trying to get an ipod mounted on usb port but failing,
> > gtkpod says use: ver 1.130 of usb_subr.c
> >
> > but substituting this file for the original in the 3.0 sys source tree
> > fails to build due to some unknown C structure.
> >

> > Is there a way for me to get my version of NetBSD 3.0 to
> > build with the later version of usb_subr.c?
> >
> > If I susbtitute the whole /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/* directory would it work?
> >

> > (ps I don't want to upgrade the whole OS again just to get the ipod to work.
> >     I haven't got a spare week.   I just want to rebuild the kernel , if possible. )
> >
> I think that 3.0 already has the fix included -- at least, my wife's iPod
> worked just fine on 3.0.  It's simple to test: plug in your iPod.  If the
> system sees it as a disk, all is well.
>
>                 --Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

Paul
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology