Subject: Re: Unable to boot NetBSD 3.0 on Asus P4R800V m/b
From: David Lord <david@lordynet.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/03/2006 11:31:31
On 3 Aug 2006, at 1:49, NetBSD mailing list <port-i38 wrote:

> I have two fileservers, Asus P4R800V + Celeron 2400, running
FreeBSD
> since Feb 2004 currently v5.3. I decided to move these onto NetBSD
3.0
> rather than upgrade to FreeBSD 6.x as already using NetBSD for
> firewall and internet facing server.
>
> I first tried with 3.0.1 boot floppy then booting from 3.0 cdrom
with
> same result on both servers. Partway through boot process the
keyboard
> leds flash on then off, and remain off, then shortly after one of
> messages is 'kbc: cmd write error' and then hangs at probing for
isa
> pnp.
>
> Anyone already have a solution to this?

I've now tried with NetBSD 1.6.1 which shows same problem.
Possibly I have 1.6.1 on one of small hdds (420MB or 240MB) that
might be worth trying as kernels were well trimmed down for running
in only 8 MB ram.

Other thing I've tried is to interrupt boot and try boot -c but this
just causes leds on kbd to flash as before and when userconf prompt
appears kbd is out of action so getting this working is looking even
more unlikely.

I've only skimmed through bios options and not found any settings
related to keyboard but will check again later when I've moved the
two pcs to a more accessible location (I was expecting this install
to go very smoothly).

David