Subject: Re: which port to install (amd opteron dual core)
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/20/2006 09:39:51
On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 12:33:28AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 01:51:04PM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> >
> > I need to run some 32-bit linux binaries under emulation.  Do these
> > programs work under amd64 port or is the standard i386 port the only
> > way to go?
>
> It should work OK, if you run -current.  It won't work with 3.0.

How do I set up the 32-bit linux emulation?  I built a -current kernel
and tried to run applixware binary (linux) and saw "Function not implemented"
errors from some syscalls in ktrace.  Is the linux emulation complete in
amd64 kernel?

Also, I couldn't get X working last night.  I have a nvidia gfx board
and when I run startx (to test the xfree configuration), the system
reboots immediately.

Other than this, the Tyan Tomcat K8E system with an Opteron 170 dual core
CPU seems to work well.  Audio works, Ethernet works, SATA works.  I got
some timeouts from the CDRW on regular ATA port, though.  The system has
been stable building lots of software (as long as I don't try running
xfree ;-)  Extracting the pkgsrc tarball took 8.5 seconds with softdeps :-)
I'll try building the -current userland (I'm running 3.0 userland
with a -current kernel now).  I will also try ACPI hoping to be able to see
the CPU temperature.

I'm trying to find out whether I can live with amd64 port and get my work
done or have to install i386 port and lose 25% of RAM. :-I

BTW, does sysinst support creating a raidframe system?  I guess I'll have
to do everything manually?

Thanks,

  -jm