Subject: Suggestions on booting a Thinkpad T60?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/05/2006 11:58:39
I've tried to install NetBSD on a Thinkpad T60 using the
installation CD images, but with little success as neither the
hard disk nor ethernet card are being found.  I've tried both
the boot-laptop.iso and boot.iso installation CDs images from
ftp.netbsd.org:pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/200606080000Z/i386/.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had any success, hints, or advice on
how to proceed.  I'm hoping I can boot a custom kernel from from a USB
memory drive.

I was only able to capture the dmesg by typing onto a different machine.
The ethernet is identified as:

  pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
  pci2: i/o space, memory space enabled, rd/line, wr/inv ok
  vendor 0x8086 product 0x109a (ethernet network) at pci2 dev 0 function 0 not configured

The disk controller is:

  pcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0
  pcib0: vendor 0x8086 product 0x27b9 (rev. 0x02)
  piixide0 at pci0 dev 31 function 1
  piixide0: Intel 82801GB/GR IDE Controller (ICH7) (rev. 0x02)
  piixide0: bus-master DMS support present
  piixide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
  piixide0: primary channel interrupting at irq 14
  atabus0 at piixide0 channel 0
  piixide0: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
  piixide0: secondary channel ignored (disabled)
  vendor 0x8086 product 0x27c5 (SATA mass storage, interface 0x01, revision 0x02) at pci0 dev 31 function 2 not configured
  vendor 0x8086 product 0x27da (SMBus serial bus, revision 0x02) at pci0 dev 31 function 3 not configured

Brian.

--
  Brian de Alwis | Software Practices Lab | UBC | http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~bsd/
      "Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli