Subject: Trouble with Netgear FA311, interface does not work
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Ter Morshuizen <mark@itbox.co.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/05/2006 17:32:56
Hi,

I have a weird problem with NetBSD: I have a machine running a fresh install
of 3.0 which has a Netgear FA311 card in it. The kernel detects the correct
chip and phy and on bootup dhclient gets assigned an address, gateway,
nameserver, etc. From that moment on the interface doesn't work. Routes etc.
all look fine.
I tried a 3Com card instead of the Netgear and all works fine.
I need the Netgear card as it is a low profile job and the 3Com card won't fit
in the low profile case.

The same card works fine under linux. (Whatever version I care to try.)

Googling reveals 2 possibly related issues:

1.5.1 had problems with this card and the sip driver. Is it safe to assume
that this will have been resolved by now?

DHCP complains "iplength 328 disagrees with bytes received 330 accepting
packet with data after udp payload" This seems to be benign for most folks.

Trying to use static IP information did not help. The interface still does not
work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
--