Subject: IEEE 1394 in 3.0?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/04/2006 13:42:56
Hi!  I have a machine which in theory ought to work, but which has in fact
been very thoroughly jinxed.  It's for a customer who, really, doesn't care
much whether I provide FreeBSD or NetBSD.

FreeBSD hangs during boot if ACPI is enabled; if it isn't, the machine can't
go MP.  This can be worked around by disabling the SCSI controller, but then
there's no SCSI.

NetBSD runs fine in MP, with the SCSI controller, but I can't make FireWire
devices work.  The firewire card probes correctly, comes up with reasonable
IDs... And then nothing happens when devices are attached.

I'm writing to port-i386 because I'm currently running the system on i386
kernels, but it's actually Opterons; behavior was in no way different on
amd64, though.  I figured port-i386 was probably a better bet.

So, uhm.  IEEE 1394 in 3.0:  Is there something I need to do beyond
uncommenting fwohci, fw, sbpscsi, and so on?  Does it work?

-s